Monday, December 24, 2007

Why you need a dad

My mother raised us without a great deal of help from my father. or men in general.
I thought this was going just fine, and for my sister and me, probably turning out just peachy. Guess we will see who we marry.

But, I have come up with a list of reasons why you need one, or why one would have been helpful yesterday/today:
1) teach my brother how to conduct himself properly - this should include: shovel the driveway BEFORE you drive cars all over it and it becomes big lines of ice, don't yell at visitors when they pull the car into the garage after a 12 hour car trip, don't throw their luggage, help your grandmother out of the car
2) call out laziness in my brother - I think it might be a gender thing, but my mother has no problem telling me and my sister if we are being lazy, but she doesn't say it to my brother. And that kid needs to get called out - he didn't do ANYTHING in the past two days I have been here, including not cleaning a dish, not getting someone a drink, not trying to cook/serve/carry anything.
3) Slapping the impudence out of my brother - today he arose at around 11am and stomped out of the basement and past my mother, aunt, grandmother and me playing a game at the dining room table. My grandmother said something like, hi Matt, glad to see you are up. Matt grunted and slammed the door as he entered the garage. My grandmother then said, oh, I guess he didn't want to talk. and we laughed lightly. My mother then made an excuse for him, he doesn't like to talk in the morning. My brother slammed the door back open and stomped back in yelling about us talking behind his back and if we have something to say, say it to his face. (ummm, picture yelling at your freaking 74 yr old grandmother who is breathing out of an an oxygen hose and sitting in a wheelchair). This was a display of unbridled anger that you might expect to see at bar time (although note, it would be VERY SCARY at bar time even if you weren't the target), not the 11am grandma playing cards sort of thing... My mother sort of says, Matt, no one was talking behind your back. And I said something back to him like, you are out of line and you are yelling at your grandmother. A few more words were exchanged and I got up and said he needed to get out of the room now. If it had come to blows I wouldn't have been surprised.
Then, he drove away.
My grandmother was very upset, and hoped that she didn't say anything that made him go.
My mother said, he will be back, his clothes are here.
Well, about an hour later he drives back in, and picks up his clothes and drove away again. (side note, in the car that my mother bought for him, with gas money from my mother, to an apartment my mother paid for, and to a school that my mother pays for)
He didn't tell my mother he was leaving and on his way out he walked right past my grandmother without saying anything.
So, this will be two years in a row that my brother made my mother cry on christmas. good job Matt.

So, I figure that we need a man/father to oh, I don't know - mentor him into understanding how to act, slam him into a wall, or something. We aren't doing a very good job since we have a 25 year old boy on our hands.

4 comments:

loud said...

Send him to LA - Bobby is happy to hand out "woopings" - he announces it regularly to his own children. He can whip girls into shape too.

11frogs said...

Yeah, my dad could straighten him out pretty quickly, too. He is the only one who can control my four-year-old nephew who, incidently, pulled off a fire alarm in a big hotel this weekend where my sister-in-law's extended family was celebrating Christmas in a big conference room (they've outgrown everyone's house). He said, "Daddy, I pulled it down and the firemen are coming." I see many fun times in the future with this kid.

PS, I acquired a worm bin that I'm picking up tonight. Very excited to join the club. Que viva compost!

Thomas said...

I think you need one of the guards from "Scared Straight".

Sleep late... dream more. said...

not related to your post. at all.

when are we going shopping? we have a pledge to fill. if you are too busy, i believe i have a perfectly acceptable top, buuuuut..... it would be fun to go shopping...