Tuesday, December 11, 2007

How to dispose of an animal corpse

It is with mixed emotions that I announce, after countless frantic runs into the backyard in search of small fuzzy animals that DARED to be in the yard, my dogs have killed one.
I don't know what kind of animal it is, except that it is fuzzy and sized like a rabbit or a squirrel.
I was letting them in, and Deuce and Phinneas J Arbuckle wouldn't come inside. Any disobedience by Deuce is rare, so I stepped into the porch to look around. There she was, standing over it, and Phinneas sitting a bit to the side. George was already in the house warming his buns.
I made the dogs come inside then turned on the light and went out to investigate. I still couldn't really see what it was. I took a picture, with the intentions of putting it in this post, but decided to spare you.
Here is the deal, I don't really want to dispose of it, but I will do it tomorrow morning. I already formed a game plan and have allocated the necessary plastic bags.
You may be wondering -what in the world are the mixed emotions mentioned in the first sentence? well, they have been trying to get this done for a long time, you have to admire their devotion. Also, it isn't that easy to kill a living animal directly, I certainly haven't done it. But, overwhelmingly I am sad. Sad for the loss of doggie innocence, sad for the animal, and sad that there is a corpse in my backyard.

2 comments:

11frogs said...

So what did you do with it? I guess the "throw it in the cornfield" method of burial doesn't work in Madison :)

loud said...

When I found a dead rabbit in the front yard (no loss of innocence for F&F) my neighbor took it away for me. You need to get one of those types of neighbors.