Friday, November 2, 2007

My new thing - Worms

I am all fired up and excited. I have been getting progressively (pun intended) more earthy-crunchy and now I am taking a big step...

I am going to get a worm bin.

I have nearly all of the requirements - an out of the way location that will stay warmish in the winter, plastic bin, compostable materials, soil, and newspaper.
Now I just need worms! (for your information, it costs 28 dollars/lb of red worms plus 9.95 shipping! I am buying mine locally.)
did you know that they aren't nightcrawlers, but rather redworms.
Once I get my worm bin going I will have enough worms to get one of you started in 6 months! So, start planning, who is starting a worm bin of their own in May?

2 comments:

11frogs said...

yes, yes, yes! I'm so excited! I almost got a free worm bin a few weeks ago, but it didn't pan out. I definitely want to give worms another go. We had a great little worm colony in Bolivia until we left our site for a week and the kids forgot to water it. They dried up and died. It was sad. Perfectly good California red crawlers that some guy actually had shipped from California and then propagated to compost piles all over Bolivia. And I let them die. Help me redeem myself, Lucia! Did you buy the bin, or are you making it?

loud said...

Sorry if I'm lost, but what the heck is the purpose of a worm bin? Is this something good, or more like an ant farm?