Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Lost in a holiday snowstorm

This year's Thanksgiving has been a bit crazy.
First, the planning. It was supposed to be at my house, but my mother broke her leg and we moved it to Kansas City. Then, there was much back and forth with my friend Todd about getting him to see his relatives in Indianapolis. The final plan where I didn't need to drive him to Indy for Thursday dinner wasn't solid in my mind until a drunken phone call on Sunday night.

Then, the drive. On Wednesday (this) afternoon I left for Kansas City with the two dogs in tow. Flurries accompanied me all the way to Iowa City, when they turned decidedly into snow. However, the snow was light and not sticking. I was happily cruising along, and a deer ran out of the median and into my car. uh, freakin-A! The good news is that I was calm, and the damage was just to the rear quarter panel and the tail light. Some other lady stopped after I hit the deer (I love the midwest, this is completely the most considerate place on earth) and she was all upset for me. I had to calm her down.
After the deer incident (I just jammed the tail light back in and continued on my way - full disclosure, I did have to call R so he could tell me that everything was okay) I stopped for a bathroom break in Newton, IA, and realized it was getting dark, cold and the road was dangerous. The snow was getting wetter and soon icy. These fears were confirmed when I turned on the radio and there were accidents littering the highways around Des Moines. I decided that the Econolodge was going to be good enough for me and the dogs tonight.

The only downside to the Econolodge tonight is that I have no alcohol and no one to drink with. A scrabble game with tequila shots would be fun right now.

uh, now that I think about it, I bet there is a truck driver here in Newton somewhere without someone to do shots with. Perhaps I will just stay here snuggled up in the room alone.

4 comments:

Sleep late... dream more. said...

anyone posting from the middle of IA needs a comment, even if I have nothing particularly interesting to say.

It's snowing in Madison, too. I just trampled snow through my kitchen and panicked when I came back because earlier my dishwasher had been leaking (just a little little bit) and I thought it went beserk. luckily, i was wrong :)

that's all I got.

loud said...

It's 70 here in North Carolina. Can't wait to get back...

Jobonga said...

Ohhhh, sad face. What a crappy time. I'm sorry you couldn't play tequila scrabble, but at least you had the dogs to keep you warm. Is it hard to find a motel in a snow storm that will accept pooches? What happened to the deer? Dead or maimed? I have a fear of maiming deer.

KittyWithClaws said...

Sounds like you had a crazy Wednesday! I hope Thanksgiving was better :)