Wednesday, August 22, 2007

What is a Hipster?

I was recently at a local bar, Mickey's. It won an award from the local newspaper: Best Dive Bar. I argued that the bar was less "Dive" and more "Hipster". This opened a can of worms: what is a hipster?

tough question. Under the guidance of some martinis we give it some thought, but come up short on a final answer.
SIDE NOTE: Is a martini the right drink when in a hipster bar? It seems much more the appropriate choice for a yuppie bar (read Madison's - which I HATE!!!!). To support my argument that it is a hipster bar, Mickey's couldn't make anything besides a standard Vodka or Gin martini. Despite it being the wrong drink for the bar, it was the right drink for the situation. Loud and I had been out and about with others, but they went home to take naps and do other stuff. We kept drinking. We have found ourselves in this situation before and martinis were the answer.

Back the hipster debate. Here is how I defined it: you know those people, they wear tight black jeans, low on hips, white belt, tight graphic tee, listen to "underground" bands or electronica - Kitty's fiance offered that they listen to the Hives, but only before they were cool.
-----
the internet proves to be a great resource as usual.

Here is what the wikipedia article says:


A hipster is an individual who avoids and often explicitly rejects whatever is
seen as mainstream or corporate in nature, instead embracing alternative forms
of expression. Often, these alternative forms quickly become mainstream or
corporate themselves, thus creating an arms race between the
genuinely trendy and the "played out." Indeed, even the label "hipster" is no
longer desirable, and it is rarely used for self-identification, except in an
ironic or self-deprecating way.

I find the arms race comment to be particularly compelling. I remember in high school I told a friend that I liked a band called Morphine. She was surprised and said something to the effect of, oh, I didn't realize they were popular now. Gave me the impression she was immediately dropping the band.


I also found this picture on the internet - a graphic representation of a hipster. pretty accurate in my opinion.



5 comments:

wb said...

I once defined the 'hip' in hipster as so hip as to necessitate that you do not know that it is hip.

Thomas said...

A couple things for the discussion:

1. Although I do enjoy the music of The Hives, they were never cool. There was a time when they merely existed, and now people (vaguely) know who they are. I would even go so far as to say that anyone who thinks they are cool, is a fucking idiot. Regardless if they enjoy their music. They have a "sound" and a shtick. That's it. 2 great songs by the way: Find Another Girl, A Little More For Little You.

2. A better band to gauge a hipster, in my opinion, would be Tapes N' Tapes.

3. Some additional criteria: They ONLY own vinyl of bands they actually like. They have buttons of said bands on their messenger bags. They wear fake worn t-shirts satirizing their own adoration of these bands. They have jagged haircuts.

11frogs said...

Maybe drinking yuppie drinks at dive bars is the new incarnation of hipster. Y'know how I get so far to the left politically sometimes I come around full circle to libertarian? Maybe you guys are so far ahead of and around the curve on hipster-ism that you're bringing they yuppie back. Or something.
(See why I'm always the one taking the naps during these discussions? I'm not very helpful.)

loud said...

Well, I originally asked for a cosmo, and they couldn't make it - so I think a regular martini was the right drink for this place.

Mihal said...

Hipster spelled out...

http://snapsanddaps.blogspot.com/2008/01/hipsters-versus-scenesters.html

'prece.