Thursday, August 9, 2007

Iowa caucus not first! possible loss of entire state's self esteem!

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/08/09/south-carolina-pushes-up-primary/
South Carolina moved their primary up before Iowa's caucus. Iowa really likes being first. It makes them important when really, there isn't much else for them to brag about besides being the country's top pork producer (source) and having the Field of Dreams. (Remember the movie line: Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa." - they LOVE that line)

I once participated in the Iowa primary process (in 2000). I voted for John McCain.
The sharpest of my readers will realize that means I was at the Republican primary not the Democratic caucus. What can I say, my friends were going and I didn't have my own car at the time. It seemed harmless, but I got scared when I was in the middle school auditorium (which was packed, by the way) and Gary Bauer's wife gave her stump speech and it was all rabid anti-choice rants... the crowd was getting worked up. It was at that moment I looked around and thought that I would be ripped limb from limb if they knew what I belived. I didn't tell them, but when we broke into smaller groups I did protest (albeit weakly) against adding a plank to the Republican platform that all abortion be outlawed. Wasn't that already in their platform anyhow?

I digress. The bottom line is that Iowa will take this one personally. Damn South Carolinians.

Interesting side note on the Field of Dreams site in Dyersville Iowa. My friends and I went there when we were in college in Dubuque. It was pretty nifty, but there is a rift... the site actually lies on two sets of property - and the owners have both set up concessions on their side. I imagine this is sort of what it is like at Four Corners - everyone trying to get their piece of the action. It makes it a bit uncomfortable for visitors.

2 comments:

11frogs said...

I bet they switch it to be earlier. They're already talking about having the Iowa caucuses before Christmas, which is utterly and completely insane. The earlier we push up the primaries, the more money candidates will keep spending, and the more rich, slimy, and Bush-like candidates will continue to become. Arrrgggh! It will also mean I would have to take myself off my conscientious objector-to-paying-attention-to-candidates-until-we're-at-least-in-the-same-year-as-the-election-dammit status. Another arggghh!

Mouse said...

you can damnn tons of South Carolinians next summer when you "crash" my wedding...I damn them all the time!!!!