Wednesday, October 3, 2007

My Madeline Island Experience

There have been some good posts about the Madeline Island trip. 11 Frogs, Loud, and Joanna.
Sept2007 070

Here are my memories:
1) my dogs should come on more trips. They are FAR too cute to leave behind:
Sept2007 089Sept2007 082Sept2007 068
2) Deuce-ster!-what is the deal with the sand rolling?
Sept2007 119Sept2007 140
3) Rick is way too nice to me.
4) if you go into a bar in Bayfield and their shot of the day is a Scotch Hop beware that the bartender DOES NOT like it if you laugh about the following exchange:
Lucia: what is in a Scotch Hop?
Bartender: scotch
Lucia: (chuckle) anything else?
Bartender: like what? (stern face)
Lucia: okay, what kind of scotch? (smiling)
Bartender: (holds up bottle, label towards herself)
Lucia: is that Passport?
Bartender: no. do you want the shots? (angry face)
Lucia: yes, we want five of them, I just wonder if that is Passport. (to my compatriots) that is what my grandmother drinks!
Bartender: (stops pouring) do you want them or not?
Lucia: yes.
Bartender: (turns bottle a bit)
Lucia: (laughs, turns to friends), that is clan McGregor, my grandma drinks that too!
Bartender: (stalks off ANGRY)
Sept2007 060
5) cheap scotch makes people cough and sputter.
Sept2007 062
6) Rick and I don't cough or sputter. possibly disturbing and I should revisit alcoholic quiz sometime.
Sept2007 064
7) I didn't take a lot of pictures of the food prep, but I did get a lot of shots of the fire prep.
Sept2007 130Sept2007 131Sept2007 152
8) Instead of showering, Whitney chose plunging himself into the frigid lake each day. Here are Whitney and Joanna on their way down to the lake for what I am sure they thought would be a leisurely dip.
Sept2007 076
They returned 10 minutes later.
Sept2007 091
9) Rick snorkeled a shipwreck off our beach. (he had a wet suit)
Sept2007 077
10) there are some tight runway walkers in our group. and one 70's styler.
11) everyone has a sign. Most people picked their own. Mine was chosen because others pointed and shouted that it was mine. I need to do some self evaluation as a result.
Sept2007 097
Sept2007 104
Sept2007 101Sept2007 100
12) The Island is very, very, very proud of their museum and their restrooms. We visited both.
Sept2007 093Sept2007 092
13) this barstool is funny.
Sept2007 095
14) Rick didn't spend all of that time driving around Wisconsin for nothing, he directed us to a kitchy diner where we all sat at the counter and a cheese factory where we got curds just an hour old ("they are little cheese ideas that haven't even figured out how to come together as cheese yet, they are so fresh" - quote from our car).
Sept2007 052Sept2007 045
15) I was accompanied in the car by two dogs and one sleeping bear like man. and yet I didn't get lost or miss my turn at any time. can not be said for the cars with the three awake humans.
16) snoring was nicely not a problem
17) The cabin situation worked out pretty good, but I think that Renee should be moved out of the lesbian-goes to bed early cabin and into the party cabin on the next trip.
18) 80s trivia. poor idea with the trivia buff who was in his late teens/early 20s in the 80s versus the folks that were at most 12 in 1989. However, I did learn that the Tower commission (and congressman Tower) was the group that investigated the Iran Contra affair. I will never forget that.
19) the egg salad. It was different this time and while I only had a bite (by the ride home I didnt' really want to eat anything else for at least two weeks), it wasn't bad. just feisty.
20) best food was probably the apple cobbler. the real one, not the "hey we have too many apples, let's make ourselves something cobbler like with pancake mix, egg and syrup" also dodgy that we named the cobblers - Rich White kid cobbler, Inner City kid cobbler and Rural kid cobbler. I will let you work it out for yourself what was what.
21) Everyone got a meal. That was cool. except that some meal makers were mean to their partners - here I am thinking about how Whitney forced Joanna to grate down a million red potatoes.
22) I would bet we left a pesto stain in the refrigerator.
23) getting the dish duty on the very last meal - less than the ideal dish duty.
24) it only takes a rocket scientist and a project manager half a load of dishes to figure out that putting the components in the following order (from left to right on the counter) is completely wrong - dirty dishes on counter and stove, rinsing side of sink, washing side of sink, clean dishes in a rack.
25)we had a great time:
Sept2007 160
Sept2007 051 cropped

6 comments:

Alex said...

It's shocking that the Whitdawg managed to stay out of legal trouble on this one.

Sleep late... dream more. said...

Pesto stain...
that sounds dirty...

;-p

loud said...

Ahhh...don't we wish we were all there now?

KittyWithClaws said...

Good luck with the go-live! Hang in there, it can only get better :)

11frogs said...

For the record, bedtime in the lesbian cabin only averaged about .5 hours earlier than bedtime in the party cabin. And, oh, those morning showers ...
Also, can I have access to your flickr account so I can get a copy of the group photos, please? Thanks!

wb said...

I stand by my lake vs. shower decision. I do regret missing the Scotch Hop debacle though. I don't feel like that is really something I will ever try to order anywhere else. Sort of a once in a life time experience, unless they're on special again next weekend...
Oh, and I would also like access to your flickr account because I enjoy hoarding pictures. Thank you.