Wednesday, October 3, 2007

the post that tool me over an hour

that last post took me over an hour. so, you will forgive me if my posts are brief as this is my customer's go live (10-1-07) and we are still in frantic mode.

highlights thus far:

  • hour long meetings where users "express their frustration" with me.
  • smiling and helping people with crises for 12 hours each day.
  • a 7 hour downtime that ended with the nurse in charge of the entire house, the registration director and me agreeing to Fuck the Census Reconciliation, let's just do it, and coming up 2 minutes later.
  • starting to cry after the first 15 hour shift...in the command center.
  • every printer in the entire 800 bed hospital - didn't work.
  • every printed output in the entire 800 bed hospital - mapped to the wrong print type
  • at least half of the users had security issues
  • reg wait times - up from 12 minutes to a max of 90 minutes, and on average 35 minutes.
  • users asking for me to attend meetings with them so they "have someone to tell them the truth".
  • the director saying okay when users ask me to attend meetings instead of his team.
  • no bed charges posting for the first two days
  • something like 600 duplicate charts created.

let's just say it has been fun so far. It is crazy frustrating because we worked so hard before go-live just to get where we are and still it sucks. I can't imagine what it would look like if we hadn't tried at all. Well, I guess it could only get about 50% worse than it is right now, so... we could have just saved ourselves and spent 50% more time on the clean up, and far less time on the front end...

3 comments:

Alex said...

Wow.... Sounds like even more fun than the last one a year ago. Thanks for taking the time to help me out during all that chaos. It was very much appreciated.

loud said...

Damn. Saginaw is looking preety sweet now.

11frogs said...

Aw, man - sorry to hear it. I suggest you quit. But that's what I suggest to everyone. Lake Superior is eagerly awaiting your return.