Wednesday, October 31, 2007

CSA selection, new roommate, and Mad Men

2008 will be my first CSA year. A CSA is community supported agriculture. You buy a share and this gets you produce, meat, or cheese from a local farm. Seems simple. Heck, my insurance company is even offering a rebate for joining one.
My issues:
  • CSA selection - how do I pick one? I have the list, but it seems so random.
  • Random vegetables - I admit, I am slightly daunted by 11 Frog's posts about root vegetables. I guess you just figure out what to do with parsnips or turnips. Someone else is going to have to take the beets though. they really piss me off with their whole red staining thing. Perhaps I can figure out how to make my own sugar from them. wouldn't that be nifty.
  • Travel - I travel a lot. I need to figure out how to ensure that I can always pick these things up. R is moving in to my house. perhaps I can trade him veggies for picking up the CSA box.

oh, did I not tell you that R is moving in? yep. He is going back to school and I could certainly use a homemaker at home.

Which reminds me, anyone watching Mad Men on AMC? New show by producer of Sopranos. About a 1960 Madison Avenue Ad agency. Pretty good. Mostly just fascinating what it was like during that time period for these kinds of people.

Makes me a little sad that I can't get myself one of those Eastern European women that you can buy for 5,000 bucks and have myself a wife. Would be great to have a wife who called you to see if you wanted anything specific for dinner, had and raised the kids, cleaned the house, and excused you when you just wanted to put your feet up after a long day at work and delivered a martini to you.

R - if you read this: do you know how to make a good martini?

2 comments:

11frogs said...

MACSAC has a list with links to all of their member CSAs, and they also hold a spring open house (March-ish) at Olbrich Gardens where you can go around and meet all the farmers, get brochures, compare, etc. There are at least a couple who deliver to the farmers' market on Saturdays instead of on a weeknights, if that would make it easier to pick up. And, if you split it with someone, you'll have a better chance of a) being around to pick it up and b) actually finishing all the vegetables. I'd definitely recommend against getting a full share for yourself. It'll be too much - split or do the every-other-week one.

11frogs said...

Oh, MACSAC = http://www.macsac.org/, and I heart beets.