Monday, July 16, 2007

The wonders of my porches

I have a front porch and a back porch. When I moved into the house last December, these were mere passing through places. Sure, I stood on my front porch for a minute or so to see the Capitol in the winter, and some family smokers used the back porch while visiting.
However, these places are amazing in the summer.

Front Porch: Besides my pride and joy flower baskets that I made myself. I now have two Adirondack chairs and a small side table on the front porch. I am very proud of these chairs. They were 12 bucks each at Target, but they were a hideous beige color. Thanks to a tip from my mother I discovered that there is now a spray paint for plastic/resin! This allowed me (tip for others, it takes 2 cans to cover 2 chairs) to convert them to nice black. It goes well with my existing color scheme. I have some places where the paint has scratched off already, so the painting of the chairs may become a yearly event. Nevertheless, they make the porch a great place to hang out in the morning for my coffee. Good breeze, shady, overlooking the street and yet no one looks up here so you feel private. Delightful.

Back Porch: This area has not yet been maximized. Right now it is just a screened in porch with a light and some crappy furniture on it. It did provide nice shade though during a cookout, so it has done the job. But, I have plans - I even have sketches! Convert existing light fixture to a ceiling fan/light, replace existing door to the house with a set of French doors (I REALLY REALLY want this), curtain rods at the corners with a tan sailcloth tied back. An outdoor rug. Two sitting chairs and a small table. A daybed with lots and lots of pillows so I can take naps outside.
I dread the coming of winter when these places will once again sit alone and unused.

1 comment:

KittyWithClaws said...

Wow, your ideas are amazing. I'm thoroughly in awe!