Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Wait a bit, see how it all shakes out

this past Sunday, I was sitting on my front porch, enjoying my coffee and reading this week's Isthmus.
One snippet:
The Madison School Board decides that only people who are dead can have a
district school named in their honor. The policy change comes after the board
reversed its decision to name a new elementary school after Hmong Gen. Vang Pao
who was arrested on charges of conspiracy to overthrow that communist Laotian
government.

This is funny to me. Dead people can't commit any crimes, so I guess as long as you trust your vetting process you feel safe nominating dead people.

Also, this brings to mind a lecture I was recently listening to about the legacy of presidents - and then there is a lot of talk recently about Bush's legacy: http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,2120797,00.html
http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSWAT00783220070704?feedType=RSS

Condoleezza Rice said something related in an interview with George Stephanopoulos (who I have a huge boner for) on GMA Friday morning (quote transcribed from the end of this video: http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=3373699)
"History will judge, but I know enough to know myself as a historian, today's headlines are rarely the same as history's judgment. "
I think this ties in nicely with Madison School Board's decision. Perhaps you just have to wait to see how it will all shake out.

2 comments:

11frogs said...

In general, I believe this is true. However, regardless of how history reads Bush's legacy, I know myself well enough to know that I'll still think he's a dumbass even when I'm 90.

KittyWithClaws said...

I think dumbass is too light of a word for how I'll still feel about him. Though, when I'm 90, he'd damn well better be dead. Thank god he never had a boy.