Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Grammar lesson for the day

Principle versus principal.
I have to write a report each month for work where I mention the Principle Trainer. Except that the guy who reviews it always changes it to Principal Trainer.
I suspected he was wrong.
But, I changed it to his spelling for the past 8 months, heck maybe 12 months.
This month I look it up on the internet - here is what I found:
Principal can be used as an adjective or a noun, Principle can ONLY be a noun.
Definitions aside this is a nice rule that I can live by since I am using it as an adjective and there is only one choice for that situation.
So, I am soundly behind Principal Trainer from here on out.

(you may have noticed that I was incorrect initially. I have chosen to place myself squarely in the public view as wrong, but now righted. Hopefully this dispells the rumors that I am infallible. those are so annoying)

2 comments:

loud said...

I'm so disallusioned - I thought you WERE infallable!

wb said...

Unless of course what you meant was that this was a guy who trained people on principles. You know, like which were the good principles and which were the bad ones. Then he would be a Principle Trainer, and you would have been right from the start.