Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A challenge for myself

I want to be harder on myself than others. I want to improve over time. I try to spot my own personality flaws and work on them. Sometimes I spot them, but can't help myself.
A good example:
I am competative. It drives me like nothing else. I create competitions where there are none.
I try to be the best dressed person in all of Dayton, OH.
When invited to a party I am secretly trying to have the best gift, the most eaten dish, and the funniest stories.
I am ashamed to admit that I like beating people. Even in charity events.
I try to hide it, but am probably very transparent in my need to compete. I have seen several instances where people didn't invite me to participate in something, likely because I am going to make it into a competition. I understand.
The reason I bring this up -my friend 11 Frogs was doing something very nice for herself - trying to be a vegan for two weeks, and a vegetarian for Lent. This is nice and good and she has done a pretty good job laying bare her progress and small set backs on her blog.
I hate myself. But I want to try something similar to see if I can do better than her. Egads man, what is wrong with me? 11Frogs, this isn't about you and I am sorry. You have done an admirable job. I have some internal defect that forces me to do this.
Why would I even put this on this blog? Perhaps I hoped to absolve some guilt by publically declaring that I am a jerk. But mostly I have to have someone to judge my success, it is part of the competativeness. I couldn't just do this secretly because no one would acknowledge my success. I can't just tell R and have him judge me. I have realized that he has virtually no competativeness and will often tell me whatever I want to hear.
Also, I think that a blow by blow account will be funny.
I am not going vegan because I like having animals work for me. It pleases me. If I could get those damn dogs to carry the groceries up the stairs, believe me....
I am going to stay below 20 carbohydrates per day from today through March 6. That is 15 days. I have something on March 2 and I would like to eat and drink freely, so I will take off from 6pm to midnight.
If you think this will be easy, you are silly. take a look at everything you eat - a typical slice of bread 15 carbs - one can of Coke - like 32 carbs - worst of all, beer - my favorite beer, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is 12 carbs.

To keep me honest I will tell you all the carbs I eat each day and all of the delicious things I missed during the day.

5 comments:

11frogs said...

Fabulous idea! I'm sure you'll do better than I did, if "better" = not screwing up, as I screwed up in small ways many times, and in a very big way with the pork sandwich :) But I also learned a lot about ingredients in different foods, found some new stuff that I'll probably fold into my diet, and kind of confirmed my decisions about how I already eat. Which is exactly what I wanted to get out of it. So - and here's the fun part about being a competition avoider - I win :) Good luck with your carbs. That would be much harder for me than vegan, I think.

Alex said...

You can also become a "competitive" speller ;)

Lucia said...

screw you, I don't spell well!

Nikki - - Monomestile - - said...

That's great! I'm totally like that too--I really want to spot my flaws and weaknesses and improve. Great Idea.

loud said...

I wish to become a better shotgunner than you...however, the competative spirit must be lower since I still can't even finish one, let alone compete wtih you.