Thursday, January 24, 2008

lab partners. when you realize that you aren't the good one, so you must be the dumb one.

I read Jobonga's post about lab partners and started to write this really long comment. Then I realized that this is funny enough for my own blog. Why waste it as a sad note at the bottom of her blog, it deserves it's own post. So, here you go:

My degree is in biology (with religious studies and chemistry minors), so I had lots of group projects and lab partners.
I like to think that I was the good lab partner, but I just realized that there are only like two bad ones that I can remember, but there were several groups were I think I was the loser. one funny story - my freshman year in college I was in a group for my intro to bio for bio majors (read 75 pre-med big fish in their little hometown pond freshmen) class. I kept sleeping through their daily meetings (note, we didn't need daily meetings, these people were uptight!). this was when I realized that my most productive time of day is NOT 4pm to 4am and that I love naps. My famous three hour nap was perfected during college. When the presentation day came I turned on the charm and my portion was fun, engaging and energetic. My archnemesis, Theresa Dup--- (privacy), the instigator of the daily meeting overkill, was stilted and boring. I presented after her and the professor immediately sat up and smiled about four times during my portion.
Theresa and I spent the remainder of our college years together in the biology dept (only 6 majors so lots of time together). and the entire time I was comparing myself to her. I coined the phrase: my archnemesis Theresa Dup--- and my senior year even revealed to Theresa that I called her that.
There are many more stories about my archnemesis Theresa Dup---. next time you see me, let me know you want to hear that one.

No comments: