Wednesday, June 27, 2007

My new love - One Note

I don't want to be one of those crazies in love with a software program. You know those people.
But, I can't help it. One Note by Microsoft is awesome.
One of the people on my team proselytized to the team about it. I made him do a demo in the team meeting.
*warning - if you don't want to listen to me go on about the wonders of this software - or suspect that you will be forced to listen to me verbally run through this in person, feel free to stop reading now.

Here is the deal -it is a note taking software - it allows you to organize your notes into notebooks, then tabs in the notebook and then pages within the tab. You can even add another level of organization by making subpages and grouping pages.
You can use colors (I love colors to visually group things).
You can move things around easily.
You can effortlessly jump from page to page and to different note books. - no longer waiting for four Word docs to load up.
Searching is Very cool, you put in the word and then the pages with the word are highlighted as well as the word itself in the page.
It integrates with your Outlook tasks - you can tag something in two seconds as a task and even indicate when it is due.
Not just tasks - there are all sorts of other tags, I have one for tasks for other people on my team, one for tasks for my customer, one for things to blog about, one for definitions, one for books to read, one for ideas, etc.
Then you can pick a tag and the program pulls up every single tag of that type in a list.
I also love that I can use it for personal stuff as well as the work stuff. I can password protect all the personal stuff.
It has the ability within Explorer to send a page to OneNote, it just copies the info into a page and puts it in the unfiled notes area so you can comment on it or move it later.
It has a small pop up window to take notes on that will stay above whatever other document you are doing. - so, I can be reviewing a document and taking notes on it.
You can check out a free demo/trial here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote/default.aspx

No comments: