Friday, June 22, 2007

getting sick on a sunny summer weekend

I used to never get sick. like ever. ask my mother.
However, I have had a rough voice for a week and then something I did yesterday seems to have lowered the resistance just enough so that my neck is achy and my throat is sore. gnnrrr.
getting sick is just fine on a weekend in the winter. or if it is raining. But this weekend I have a lot of stuff I want to do.
Tomorrow I am going to the farmers market, strawberry picking and to the Finnish Solstice party. I will not miss these things!
I have taken two multivitamins and I plan for these (as well as the two I will take tomorrow morning) to jump me right out of this craziness. I might even drink a glass of orange juice if it comes down to that. or a smoothie... ooo that sounds good with my throat hurting.

This reminds me, someone was going on about how when they are sick they just want their mother to take care of them. I found this puzzling. I certainly don't wish to demean my mother or her motherskills, but she didn't dote on us much when we were sick. I remember many times when she let me stay home from school for mental health days (probably why I didn't go to an Ivy League college, those were the days when they taught you to actually do your homework), but not very many actual sick times. I don't recall any soup being made for me.
Perhaps this is because I just wasn't ever sick as I said in the beginning.
Perhaps she actually did these things for my sister (who was sick more than me) or brother and I blocked it out.
Perhaps her brand of motherly doesn't include doting on sick children.
honestly I can't picture the Old Bird (my mother's mother) doting on any sick children or grandchildren either.

am I decended from fertile but non-motherly women? Humph, I am who I am. There is too much bullshit with the whole soup, thermometer waving, and tucking in blankets thing. Apparently the non-doting works for me.

No comments: