Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Lucia's way of occupying herself in meetings

Sometimes I get bored in meetings. This is true in only about 10-20% of my meetings, but since my entire life is lived in meetings, it happens often enough.

To occupy myself I have some strategies:

1)       Rewrite my tasks/notes from previous meetings – I use this strategy when I just have my notebook and can’t open my computer.

2)      Play with the font and templates on my OneNote notebook. The benefit to this is that I can do this in between actually taking notes.

3)      Take a census of the room as to who I would sleep with. I have developed a system for this:

a.       I only count men, typically. If there is some woman that I really think I would sleep with then I put that as an addendum.

b.      There are three numbers – for instance, this meeting is a 4/4/2.

c.       The first number is the denominator of the equation – the total number of men in the room. (why do I put this number first in my documentation? Because that is the first thing I count)

d.      The second number is the numerator for the fraction of men I would sleep with.

e.       The third number is the numerator for the fraction of men that I would happily/vigorously sleep with. (why do I use the term vigorously… it seems creepy. I agree, but I guess I mean, I would be really into it with the second group. The first group, I would do it, but I wouldn’t really care.)  

What is great about the #/#/# activity to distract me – I can do it during the meeting and still look like I care about the meeting, and it really distracts me from my boredom.

2 comments:

Thomas said...

thank you for passing this system on to the rest of us. i feel like it will be very handy.

David said...

I've actually passed the system on to many people at work. It's quite handy.