Friday, September 7, 2007

Last Chance for Canning Glory!

It seems to all be coming together - the last chance for canning fantastick! (that is right folks, 61 lbs of tomatoes and 6 jars of pickles weren't enough for me)

1) Jen wanted to can something.
2) Jen is trapped in her own home, a perfect time to put up preserves.
3) Jen has a huge kitchen, knives, pots, cutting board, and sink.
4) I have a pressure canner, a water bath pot the size of New Zealand, a newly supplemented supply of jars from my father, and a stick with a magnet on the end.
5) It is apple picking season!!!! If you saw the strawberry post on WI roaming you know that love ourselves some good Pick your Own!
6) I want to make Apple Butter. I love it. and I want to see if I can make it with Splenda.


To be involved - - anyone who is interested in any of this should email me. If you don't actually know me or live in the area, then I am sorry, you probably can't participate. But, stay tuned for how this all turns out.

apple picking/buying - I come back to Madison on Sunday, probably around 1pm or so. I would like to go do the apple picking then, if anyone wants to go with me you are welcome. Otherwise you can go obtain your own apples. Jen, I will be happy to pick for you too.

Some hours:
Eplegaarden Orchard: in Fitchburg
Sept. 1 – Oct. 31 Mon. – Sat. 9 AM – 5 PM
Sunday 11 AM – 5 PM
www.carandale.com: in Oregon
SAT & SUN HOURS WILL BE 10AM-5PM (WE WILL ONLY BE OPEN ON FRI, SAT & SUN)

These sites found on this very cool website:
http://www.pickyourown.org/wigo.htm

To Process -
1) of course we are going to do this at Jen's house. Jen, do you have a suggestion for a good day? What about Sunday 9-16? I have to go out with my customers (read drive their drunk butts around) on Monday and Tuesday nights so those won't work for me.
2) We need an apple peeling thingy. Jen, I just feel like this is a machine you should own. (if you make your own cheese, no reason not to be an apple pie queen too) -Here is the best type. If you wanted to buy one, that would be cool. If not then let me know and I will obtain one.
3)Recipes/What you are going to do with your apples -get yourself a plan - searching the internet yields a surprising number of canning recipes. You will need to know if your plan involves pressure canning or water bath canning and how long they need to be in. For pressure canning, also what pressure they need to be at.
---note, I sort of figured that I would go to Jen's and we would take the apples all the way from dirty little apples to canned apple butter. This will take many hours. If you want to process your apples into the sauce that goes into the jars ahead of time, just let me know and you can come over for just the canning portion.
4) Jars and Lids - I have an over abundance of Quart jars right now, so if you are going to put up big jars then you can use mine, however, I probably don't have enough pint and jelly jars for all. So, if you are going to can apple butter, then we need to get you some pint and jelly jars.
5) I have to get my pressure canner back from Rick. He borrowed it without telling me, but then it turns out he didn't use it. - you may remember that when we went to the pick your own veggies farm he spent 20 minutes jostling with an elderly Hmong woman to pick like 10 lbs of tiny hot peppers. Well, he had to do something with them, so the brief story I got was that he used my jars and froze them... I don't know and I am not going to think about it any more.

anyhow - email me if you want to participate, and Jen, we need a date for your house.

5 comments:

KittyWithClaws said...

Woohoo!! Just let me know - 9/16 works for me!
I'll see if I can get the apple peeler thingie by then. I'll figure out recipes, and get jars too. Anyone is welcome at any time throughout the day.
And lastly, why are you posting at 4am? Boo :/

KittyWithClaws said...

Oh yeah, but if you want to come over the weekend after that, I think that would be better.........the fiancé is going to be gone for 4 days for a friend's wedding, so it'd be nice to have some company for some of that weekend :)

11frogs said...

Great idea! I want to make apple pie filling. I can't make it on the 16th if you do it then. The weekend of the 22nd is out because of Madeline Island. If we wait until a weekend after Madeline Island, we can probably score a ton of free apples. Last year, there were three trees by the cabins that we raided and came back with more apples than we could eat ... just a thought.

Sleep late... dream more. said...

I can't on the 16th, but i DO have an apple peeler like the one linked to that I can lend you guys. (go go garage sales! it was a whole $2!)

are apples really ready by mid-september? wow.

IF you do reschedule, lemme know cuz I'd definitely be interested :) :) :)

KittyWithClaws said...

Personally, I'd love to can the weekend of the 22nd if anyone is around - I'm looking at storing some tomatoes that weekend if I can still get them at the farmer's market.
As for the weekend after that, that's PROM weekend, but I'd still be down for some apple canning!
Lucia - if you want to do more than one weekend, and get some more of your veggies out of the way and in jars, I'd be down :)